Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Dave Mason’s career spans over half a century and encompasses producing, performing and song writing. Fans and critics alike hail Dave as one of the most talented songwriters and guitarists in the world – which is why he is still performing over 100 shows a year to sold-out crowds.
Mason has been playing guitar most of his life. By 15, Dave had founded two bands: The Deep Feeling and The Hellions. At 18, the Worcester, England native teamed up with Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood to form the legendary band Traffic. At 19, Mason penned the song “Feelin’ Alright”. The rock anthem, first recorded by Traffic and then covered by dozens of other artists (including Joe Cocker), cemented both Dave’s and Traffic’s legacy and had a profound influence over rock music that continues today.
Mason left Traffic in 1969 to pursue a solo career in the US. Dave has penned over 100 songs, has 3 gold albums: Alone Together, Dave Mason and Mariposa De Oro and a platinum album Let it Flow, which contained the top-ten single “We Just Disagree”.
In addition to cranking out hits, Dave has performed on or contributed to a number of famous albums, including: The Rolling Stones’ Beggars Banquet, George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass, Paul McCartney and Wings Venus and Mars and Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland. Mason is featured playing acoustic guitar in “All Along the Watchtower” on Electric Ladyland, a favorite in Dave’s live shows!
Dave, a prolific artist in his own right, has collaborated with an enviable list of the who’s who in the music industry… Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Graham Nash, Stephen Stills, Rita Coolidge, Delaney & Bonnie, Leon Russell, Ron Wood, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, and Jim Capaldi, just to name a few. In addition to his own productions, Mason’s distinctive work is featured on numerous gold and platinum albums such as:
• Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland “All Along The Watchtower” (acoustic guitar) and “Crosstown Traffic” (vocals)
• George Harrison All Thing Must Pass (various tracks),
• The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet “Street Fighting Man” (shehnai and mellotron)
• Paul McCartney and Wings Venus And Mars “Listen To What The Man Said” (guitar)
• Graham Nash Songs For Beginners
• David Crosby & Graham Nash, Graham Nash David Crosby
• Dave Mason & Cass Elliot (Mamas & Papas) Dave Mason & Cass Elliot
• The Spencer Davis Group “Somebody Help Me”, “Gimme Some Lovin’” and “I’m A Man” (vocals)
• Fleetwood Mac Time (guitar, vocals)
• Eric Clapton Crossroads (guitar)
When Dave is not touring, he spends his time writing and producing music in his home studio, as well as tirelessly supporting philanthropic efforts for Rock Our Vets, a non-profit he co-founded.